Re: "libstdc++6:i386" package breaks "libstdc++6"

On Thu, 11 May 2017, Martin T wrote:
> I need to install "openjdk-7-jre-headless:i386" package in my amd64
> Debian 8 system. However, it depends on "libstdc++6:i386" package

Check the full binary package versions of libstdc++6 for i386 and amd64.
They must match.

	apt-cache policy libstdc++6:i386 libstdc++6:amd64

If they don't match, wait 24 hours, do an apt update, and check again.

Also, ensure you did not install a rogue libstdc++6 from some random
place, and that whatever mirror you are using _is_ getting properly
updated.

> Is there a way to install "libstdc++6:i386" package without breaking
> "libstdc++6"?

Yes, it should just work.

However, it is possible for a temporary version synchronization issue to
exist when one arch is updated, and another is delayed for some reason.
When that happens, it is typically automatically fixed in one or two
mirror pulses (there are several mirror pulses per day), plus whatever
time it takes for *your* mirror to get the update (so I typically tell
people to wait for 24 hours).

--
  Henrique Holschuh