Re: "libstdc++6:i386" package breaks "libstdc++6"

On 2017-05-11 at 09:02, Martin T wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to install "openjdk-7-jre-headless:i386" package in my amd64
> Debian 8 system. However, it depends on "libstdc++6:i386" package
> which seems to break my system:
>
> # apt-cache depends libstdc++6:i386
> libstdc++6:i386

>   Breaks: libstdc++6
> #
> # apt-get install libstdc++6:i386

>   libstdc++6:i386
> WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed.
> This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
>   apt libapt-pkg4.12 (due to apt) libstdc++6 (due to apt)

> Is there a way to install "libstdc++6:i386" package without breaking
> "libstdc++6"?

There must be, because I have both of them installed simultaneously:

$ apt-cache policy libstdc++6
libstdc++6:
  Installed: 6.3.0-16
  Candidate: 6.3.0-16
  Version table:
 *** 6.3.0-16 500
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian testing/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     4.9.2-10 500
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stable/main amd64 Packages
$ apt-cache policy libstdc++6:i386
libstdc++6:i386:
  Installed: 6.3.0-16
  Candidate: 6.3.0-16
  Version table:
 *** 6.3.0-16 500
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian testing/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     4.9.2-10 500
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stable/main i386 Packages

Also, from 'apt-cache show libstdc++6{,:i386}', I don't see any Breaks:
entry for either package on the other.

(Just for reference, I'm tracking testing, and am up-to-date with it as
of the past day or two - but I haven't changed the install status of
these packages in years, AFAIK, except to upgrade them when new versions
become available.)

What do you get from the 'apt-cache policy' commands I gave above?

--
   The Wanderer