Re: NVMe SSD and discard mount option

I also thought about that at first, but asked to my server provider, and
they quoted Intel docs: "Be sure to turn off the discard option when
making your Linux filesystem. You want to allow the SSD manage blocks
and its activity between the NVM (non-volatile memory) and host with
more advanced and consistent approaches in the SSD Controller.Core
Filesystems:•ext4– the default extended option is not to discard blocks
at filesystem make time, retain this, and do not add the “discard”
extended option as some information will tell you to do"

If I understand correctly, the SSD already manages discarding the old
blocks, probably using some NVMe magic. Is my interpretation OK?

--
David Guyot
Administrateur système, réseau et télécom / Sysadmin