Re: suspend/resume device

On 5/5/17, Charles Kroeger <ckrogrr@frankensteinface.com> wrote:
> on a normal boot I get a long wait (30 seconds +-) whilst the cursor winks
> then
> the message: waiting on suspend/resume device, before resuming the steps to
> boot to a login prompt.

Your words, "boot", "wait", and "30 seconds" there triggered this
response. Did you do any upgrades in last couple days? This may not
affect others but on Stretch, I received the following
"apt-listchanges" auto-generated message that I knew was one of those
"keeper" kind of things:

++++ BEGIN apt-listchanges: News MESSAGE ++++

initramfs-tools (0.129) unstable; urgency=medium

  * Some systems that do not support suspend-to-disk (hibernation) will
    require a configuration change to explicitly disable this.

    From version 0.128, the boot code waits for a suspend/resume device
    to appear, rather than checking just once.  If the configured or
    automatically selected resume device is not available at boot time,
    this results in a roughly 30 second delay.

    You should set the RESUME variable in
    /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume or
    /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf to one of:

    - auto - select the resume device automatically
    - none - disable use of a resume device
    - UUID=<uuid> - use a specific resume device (by UUID)
    - /dev/<name> - use a specific resume device (by kernel name)

 -- Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>  Thu, 20 Apr 2017 23:21:32
+0100</ben@decadent.org.uk>

++++ END apt-listchanges: News MESSAGE ++++

That "apt-listchanges" package comes in handy for putting that type of
information right in your face during upgrades.

Hope that helps someone somewhere.... some day... :)

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with plastic sporks *