Re: Only root can write on USB disk

On 2017-05-02, Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 02, 2017 at 07:16:57PM +0430, Mostafa Shahverdy wrote:
>> I have a very annoying problem. I can't write to my usb drives (fat32,
>> ntfs, etc.) without root permissions. How can I fix this?
>
> Mount the file system with "-o uid=youruser" to have the files presented
> by the kernel as being "owned" by that user.

I don't understand that advice entirely.

Isn't there a difference between mounting the device as a regular user
and writing to the device as a regular user (which you might be
prevented from doing if the filesystem had root-only write permissions,
thus Brian's ls -l suggestion to eliminate that possibility)?

--
"It might be a vision--of a shell, of a wheelbarrow, of a fairy kingdom on the
far side of the hedge; or it might be the glory of speed; no one knew." --Mrs.