Re: Using -prune option of find to ignore hidden directories

On Wednesday, May 03, 2017 04:22:57 PM tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> FWIW, a trick to see what's really going on is to prepend an echo
> before all that:
>
>   echo find /home/richard -type d -name .*

That seems like a helpful trick, but I'm not sure what I should see.

On my (Wheezy) system, I tried that, i.e.:

echo find /home/<my_username> -type d -name .*

and

echo find /home/<my_username> -type d -name '.*'

and, in both cases, I got the same result:

find /home/<my_username> -type d -name .*

From what you wrote (below) I expected to see something different, maybe more
like the following, at least for the case with the .* not within single
quotes:

find /home/<my_username> -type d -name <dir1> <dir2> ...

I presume you see the same thing on your system, so I'm missing something (and
not ready to try a lot of experiments atm (near bedtime).

Any clarification will be welcomed!