Syslog: rpc.imapd and nss_getpwnam “does not map into [ourdomain.tld]”

List, good evening,

We have set up a new server intended only to serve archival and current files to other users on our network. The primary applications are nfs and samba; sshd and exim (only for system mail to route to our on-site MTA on another machine) are also operating.

Syslog is showing continual errors saying:

May 2 06:25:07 Server6 rpc.idmapd[1799]: nss_getpwnam: name 'ron@inet' does not map into domain 'ourdomain.tld'

This report occurs every 10 minutes. Earlier in syslog, similar errors occur for:

May 2 06:25:04 Server6 rpc.idmapd[1799]: nss_getpwnam: name 'sambauser1@localdomain' does not map into domain 'ourdomain.tld'

and

May 1 17:25:04 Server6 rpc.idmapd[1799]: nss_getpwnam: name 'nobody@localdomain' does not map into domain 'ourdomain.tld'

Samba and nfs *appear* to be working, but I don't like having something set up that must be wrong in some aspect. There are 2 aspects of this report I do not understand. (i) what are rpc.idmapd and nss_getpwnam normally trying to do? (ii) why is the machine trying to use 'inet' and 'localdomain' when the machine - evidently, from the syslog report - already knows about our actual domain (anonymised to 'ourdomain.tld')?

If nss_getpwnam is to do with passwords, then the 3 applications I can think of, that are using usernames and passwords, are samba, exim, and sshd.

Grateful for any thoughts,

regards, Ron