web site problems on localhost

Greetings;

I found the problem, something had replaced the index.html, which was a
link to the front-page.html of my web site with the default apache
index.html.

Restored that by rm'ing the renamed copy of it, then cp'd the ~ version
back to the real one, voila! Web page functions normally.

I haven't a clue what did that, I did not run anything that would have
changed that while attempting to make it do an automatic conversion of
an http access into an https access. So whatever did do it, I want to
protect it from everything including me until such time as I remove the
protections so I can edit it.

But I cannot make those links immutable, chattr won't let me. And
apparently I can't remove the owners write perms.  So how can I freeze
these solid until I restore write perms?

Is there a way to do this?

Thank you.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)