Re: converting my local site to be https only access

On Saturday 29 April 2017 14:49:04 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Saturday 29 April 2017 14:21:27 Jochen Spieker wrote:
> > Gene Heskett:
> >
> > What you want to do requires that you understand the basics of
> > Apache's configuration mechanism. You should really start with that.
> >
> > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/en/getting-started.html
> > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/en/bind.html
> > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/en/configuring.html
> > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/en/urlmapping.html
> > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/en/vhosts/

I don't have 2.4, 2.2 here on wheezy.

Looking in the docs/2.2/envvars reference and trying some of the commands
I find I apparently must specify the port # somehow. apache2ctl cannot
connect on port 80.  It apparently uses /etc/alternatives/www-browser,
which is a softlink to /usrt/bin/lynx, and guess what?

lynx support at lynx.isc.org has been deleted. And it won't work without
talking to isc.org first.  Even after being re-installed.

So A: file a bug against lynx, best to remove it as its apparently been
EOL'd by isc.org

And B: what can I change that softlink in /etc/alternatives to so
apache2ctl will work against localhost:6309 ?

And C: If I have to learn a new httpd server, is nginx any better than
apache2?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)