Re: converting my local site to be https only access

Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> writes:

> Where can I find a tut that is a complete instruction set to have it do
> an auto-redirect to itself, but using the "s" stuff regardless of the
> accessing client as long as the client can handle the https stuff this
> conversion will return to the client?

For the apache webserver, which I am assuming you are using, I found

    https://wiki.apache.org/httpd/RedirectSSL

which describes how to permanently redirect clients to an encrypted
connection.  Clients without the capability to use SSL encryption will
not be able to see the contents of your site.

> I tried putting those 3 lines quoted numerous times at the bottom of the
> httpd/conf/httpd.conf, but that killed local access so I assume it also
> killed external access too.  And its failure did not generate an
> error.log entry.

Which 3 lines are you referring to?  I cannot see any lines that look
like they represent configuration file syntax in your message.

> Something was said about the AllowRedirect settings in httpd.conf, but it
> did not specify what to change it to.

Where was something said about AllowRedirect?  What was stated exactly?

> URL to the best tut please.

As much as I enjoy a bit of social interaction: are you abusing us to do
your internet searches for you?  Searching for "SSL redirect apache"
yields plenty of results.  Part of the "joy" of the computer hobby is to
wheat out obsolete information, identify the wrong, and copy and paste
the slightly less wrong.  I also won't judge anything to be "the best" –
unless it is my own of course. :-p

--
Felix Dietrich