Re: Jessie Hangs Every Other Boot

On 4/26/17, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:
> Two identical newish Dell desktops. Configured for non-legacy, UEFI-only
> booting. No Secure-Boot or Fast Boot.
>
> Both fresh minimal installs of Jessie.
>
> Every other boot results in a hang at "Initializing Ramdisk" just after
> grub, requiring holding the power button for 8 seconds to power off. Then
> power on, and it boots normally.
>
> Suggestions?

This is one of those seat of my pants observations. It might not
explain your case, but it might be something reasonable to check off a
debug list. This is the Debian-User thread I saw in last couple days:

This part particularly caught my eye:

+++ BEGIN GREG'S QUOTE +++

Before systemd, booting was a much more linear process.  Subsystems
would be brought up one by one, and when enough of them were ready,
you'd get a login prompt.

Now, however, the highly parallelized systemd boot means multiple
subsystems are being brought up simultaneously, and some of them are
still initializing when the login prompt is displayed.  If you're also
seeing their output, what this means is *sometimes*, depending on how
the race conditions play out, you might get system output *after* the login
prompt has already been displayed.

+++ END GREG'S QUOTE +++

The quote goes on and made total *cognitive* sense to my poor brain.
Again, it might not explain your case, but the topic *is* about boot
up. A successful boot sometimes and not others falls right in line
with Greg's observation there. It very much sounds reasonable for a
third thread out here, to, that is already a to-do to find and update.
:)

Just thinking out loud.. :)

Cindy :)
--