Re: Old, stale bug reports (bug triage)

On 4/26/17, Ben Finney <bignose@debian.org> wrote:
> Felix Dietrich <felix.dietrich@sperrhaken.name> writes:
>
>> What is the etiquette dealing with seemingly forgotten bug reports?
>
> You should start with a message to the bug report email address. That
> will reach both the current owner of the report, and the package
> maintainer address.
>
>> […] to have another look at the report and decide for an appropriate
>> action; may I close the report myself or set e.g. the "wontfix" tag;
>> something else?
>
> Closing the report should be done only if that is clearly the
> conclusion. As a newcomer you should not do that except where there is a
> clear statement that the report has nothing further to be done.
>
> Same with setting a “wontfix” tag; that is an expression of the
> maintainer's position, and so it needs to be clearly expressed by the
> maintainers.
>
> You can begin with just a “What's the latest on dealing with this
> report?” message. More often that you might expect, that prompts someone
> to give an update on new information that never made its way to the bug
> report.

Is this also something where Felix would participate actively over at
Debian-Mentors?

https://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/

It does sound like a "maintainer" type question since that's on
average who I usually see messing around with the bug reports over at
Debian-Mentors... but I, of course, could always be wrong on that
point. *grin*

Just thinking out loud... :)

Cindy :)

--