multiple drives, 'Gave up waiting for suspend/resume device'

For a desktop install from a thumbdrive of testing RC3, there were three drives plugged in to the motherboard. One drive was the installation target. The other two had old installs, RC3 and Wheezy.

Bizarrely, the resulting fstab has two swap partitions. One from the target drive, and a second from one of the accessory drives. I commented the second swap line out of the fstab. The new installation boots fine with or without the second swap as long as all three drives are attached.

All other references in fstab to the target drive.

If remove one of the drives, the new install has problems booting with or without the second swap. Booting takes a very long time, etc... One message is 'Gave up waiting for suspend/resume device'.

Here is a possibly related thread:
https://mail-archive.com/debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org/msg1513355.html

When the boot menu appears, grub, there are options to boot the new install, but also additional options to boot the old installs on the accessory drives, even if those drives are not attached.

What is going on? How can I fix it? Or should I just redo the installation with only the target drive attached?