Re: device name (symlink) stability

Hi

Am 25.04.2017 um 10:53 schrieb Vincent Lefevre:
> After a reboot of a Debian/unstable machine, I got:
>
>   /dev/cdrw -> sr1
>
> while it was
>
>   /dev/cdrw -> sr0

[..]

> Is it normal that the device names are not stable?
>
> In particular, it is strange that all the symlinks point to sr0
> except cdrw, which now points to sr1.

The udev rules responsible for creating those symlinks is
/lib/udev/rules.d/80-debian-compat.rules or

https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-systemd/systemd.git/tree/debian/extra/rules/80-debian-compat.rules#n18

See the comment in there:

# These rules will create symlinks for CD/DVD drives, to help old
# programs which are unable to automatically discover the devices.
# The first detected device gets the symlink, but this is not stable across
# reboots.

So, yes, what you see can happen depending on the order devices are
discovered.

Michael
universe are pointed away from Earth?