Re: Possibly erroneous "device not present" message during boot

On Wed 12 Apr 2017 at 06:18:51 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> Due to circumstances, will note rule out any of hardware, software, or
> confused operator as underlying cause.
>
> BACKGROUND:
> The hardware is a used Lenovo T510 laptop purchased a couple of months ago.

This machine has an internal card reader.

> Jessie with MATE desktop has been running fine.
> Yesterday I purchased a Kingston Technology 512GB SD, primarily for backups.
>
> As this individual unit had never had an SD card installed, the agreement
> with the store was if the card did not work in this machine I would not have
> to purchase it. My acceptance test was to install Jessie using a flash drive
> with DVD 1 of 13 of Debian 8.6.0.

We suppose the flash drive was a USB stick.

> It was my standard install which does NOT include either a swap partition
> being activated during install NOR installing a boot loader.

First (and the most important question): was the SD card inserted in a
slot of the *machine's* internal card reader when installing Debian to
it?

> I booted into my primary OS and ran update-grub with no problems.
> I rebooted, choosing the SD card from the Grub2 menu. No apparent problem.
> Also verified my other Debian installs could read/write the SD card.
>
> These tests were performed before leaving the store.
>
> THE SYMPTOM:
>
> When I got home and booted to the SD card I noticed a message appeared for
> ~10 seconds reporting that a device was not found giving the UUID of the SD
> card.

If I had carried out the procedure you describe (something that had not
been done before) my eyes would have been glued to the screen when the
OS on the SD card had been booted for the first time. Yet, at the store,
there was no "device not found" message observed. Did your attention
wander for the 10 seconds such a message would have been on the screen? :)

--
Brian.