Re: Actually [Re: Some spam]

On 04/21/2017 10:51 AM, Don Armstrong wrote:
On Thu, 20 Apr 2017, fc wrote:
Actually -- does anyone monitor this list for this type of stuff?

Yes, listmaster@lists.debian.org does.

I see these types of things come through periodically -- and 1 delete
on the front end could prevent a lot of woe.

We discard large swaths of spam. Some inevitably makes it through.
People replying to known spam doesn't help, though.

See https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/ListMaster/ListArchiveSpam for what
you can do to help

There lies a significant problem.
It states *IN PART* "There is a "report as spam" button in on the list archive page of each message."

I believe the design of that button is flawed.
It *ONLY* asks if respondent considers that message to be "SPAM".
It DOES *NOT*:
  1. ask for confirmation.
  2. ask WHY message should be considered spam.
Also, it does not apparently record *WHO* flagged a message as "spam".
I verified that point by experiment.

There ONE person on this list who routinely disagrees with me.
I chose one of his most spurious posts.
Using https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/... I viewed one of his sillier replies.
I chose to report it as spam.

That was apparent end of the evaluation process.
I'm *NOT* suggesting that the poser should be banned.
He occasionally posts useful comments.

Who/What is appropriate authority to address suggestions for improving the situation.

*Even more so* -- it seems like unauthorized users can email this
list?

Why not just restrict it to people who have subscribed?

Because that just adds more hoops to jump through for people with a
legitimate question, and lots of spam forges From addresses nowadays,
anyway.