Re: Secure boot - Uefi installation

Le 20/04/2017 à 02:36, Joel Rees a écrit :
On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 4:02 AM, Diamantis Karagkiaouris
<diamantis.karagkiaouris.dev@gmail.com> wrote:
I am really pissed off with the installation as it failed miserably.

If it fails after disabling UEFI, you probably have a machine with a
BIOS that doesn't really disable UEFI when you tell it to nicely. (I
hear some won't allow it at all.

I have a very old (~2007) UEFI motherboard which allows to enable or disable EFI boot, but it seems that many recent UEFI firmwares don't allow to disable EFI boot. At best they allow to enable or disable legacy boot (in BIOS compatibility mode), but EFI boot sources keep precedence when available. I have seen a few netbooks with 32-bit UEFI firwares which did not support legacy boot at all.

It asks me if i want to force uefi and then it fails on grub configuration.

What do you mean by force UEFI?

I suspect it is the question asked by the installer when booted in EFI mode but it finds a legacy boot system on a disk. If you answer to force UEFI, it proceeds to install GRUB EFI. Otherwise, it proceeds to install GRUB BIOS instead.

It would mean that the Debian installer did boot in EFI mode.
Installing GRUB EFI requires an EFI system partition so if you choose custom partitioning, you must create one if it does not exist.

You can get more information about the failure by looking up the installer logs in /var/log, or by running grub-install and update-grub manually in a shell.

In opensuse i didnt have this issue.

openSUSE bought a signed key for secure boot.