Re: Proper folder for non-Debian binaries

Ben Finney composed on 2017-04-20 13:53 (UTC+1000):

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> Denying an admin the right to create other directories in the root of
>> /usr/local/ makes no sense to me.

> It makes sense in the context of “this space reserved for future use”.

> The operating system reserves some name spaces – including the root
> directory – to allow newer versions to introduce new entries
> unilaterally, knowing that any existing entry found there is *already*
> in violation of the standard and should be removed.

Again, /usr/local/ to other than a sysadmin I read to be defined as read-only,
so I don't see how "reserved for future use" (absent from
http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch04s09.html BTW) could apply.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/