Re: Proper folder for non-Debian binaries

David Wright composed on 2017-04-19 13:25 (UTC-0500):

> On Wed 19 Apr 2017 at 13:46:51 (-0400), Felix Miata wrote:

>> /usr/local/<applicationNameVersion>, like so:
>> # ls -gG /usr/local/
>> drwxr-xr-x  2  4096 Mar  2 01:17 bin
>> drwxr-xr-x  3  4096 Dec 28 03:58 Brother
>> drwxrwxr-x  2  4096 Mar 31 11:51 dfsee
>> drwxr-xr-x  3  4096 Feb 28 12:58 etc
>> drwxrwxrwx 13  4096 Dec 12  2013 ff2
> [... etc ...]

> That conflicts with the FHS §4.9 and with Debian's Policy Manual §9.1.1&2.

When I first started doing that several PC eons ago I didn't find any sensible
alternative. Denying an admin the right to create other directories in the root
of /usr/local/ makes no sense to me. According to 4.9, as admin, /usr/local/ is
mine to write in, not any package manager or other installer. Thus, I find no
legitimacy in finding in that list violation of 4.9.

My installations are all multiboot. Thus I have /usr/local/ on a separate
filesystem to be shared by whichever Linux installation is operating; as opposed
to /opt/, which installers other than standard OS package managers (and
apparently Brother) use as a matter of course. Thus I keep /opt/ as a directory
on the / filesystem. I never put anything in /opt/. Whatever shows up there is
not my doing, at least, not directly.

As to 9.1.1&2, I find the numerous stated deviations from FHS effectively make
Debian de facto non-compliant with FHS.

True that my response was not a perfect match to the OP's question, but given
its author, I thought it nevertheless pertinent. :-)

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/