Re: System broken after yesterday's upgrade

On Thursday, 13 April 2017 00:27:22 CEST Michael Lange wrote:
> I would try to install a different kernel (if possible with external
> keyboard) and boot into that one, if the problem disappears the culprit is
> most likely the kernel.

I managed to boot into the older kernel that I still had in the grub menu
(4.9.0-1-amd64). It was difficult because, as I said, the keyboard works badly
in GRUB as well, but at least it somehow works, I just have to wait tens of
seconds after a keypress.

Anyhow, it booted in 4.9.0-1-amd64, but it showed the same issue: keyboard and
trackpad don't work. So it doesn't seem to be kernel related.

Now I have rebooted again in 4.9.0-2-amd64 version 4.9.18-1 (2017-03-30).
Apparenlty the only way I can restore functioning of the integrated keyboard
and trackpad is by booting up with an external usb keyboard and an external
usb mouse plugged in. I have the usual issues in grub and during bootup, but
when I get the login screen, after 30 seconds or so the external usb devices
get detected, and also the integrated keyboard and trackpad get detected so
everything starts working.