Re: If Linux Is About Choice, Why Then ...

On 7 April 2017 at 19:27, David Niklas <doark@mail.com> wrote:
On  Mon, 13 Mar 2017 12:30:11 -0700
Patrick Bartek <nemommxiv@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Linux mantra has always been "choice," plethoras of choices. So why
> at install time, is there no choice for the init system?  You get what
> the developers decide. Yes, you can install a new one -- I've done it
> and it works -- but only after the install.  It'd be a lot easier, if
> there were a choice to begin with just like whether you want a GUI and
> which one.
>
> Now, I know with LFS, you get to choose everything, etc.  But is a
> choice of init at install time so outrageous that no one ever
> considered it or is it technically unfeasible or something else.
>
> Just curious.

Because this reply is so late I'm CC'ing you off list.

I sympathize, I run Gentoo Linux and us OpenRC. I plan on running Devuan,
a Debain derivative that supports lots of different init systems.
Why no one looks at their project and sees the people involved when
making a statistic up for the amount of dissatisfied systemd users I don't
know.

Sincerely,
David

​I have been reading through some of this stuff and I think that the debian users who are fans of the sysinit boot up scripts should switch to running Gentoo.

I use Gentoo with the openrc option.

Those who are OK with systemd should stick with Debian.

Regards

MF