Re: info

domenico cop:
> hi. I am a consumer microsoft from little past to linux.

You must be translating italian to english with googletranslate which
explains why you make little sense.  So you have been an MSwindows user
and have only recently switched to linux, hopefully to debian.

> but how much confusion that us. thousand distributions thousand names.
> it should take only a name with at the most 5 or 6 versions of
> desktop.  will it be the monopoly microsoft that makes you divide?

Difference and variety does not constitute a problematic status but a
tremendous power.  Unity of non equals and non-compliant units is what
eventually creates a problem, especially if this unity is forced upon
the units.  To name a few, there is no central distribution center that
would collapse the whole after the collapse of the center.  It is the
same way nature has mycelium growth in related but not dependent cells.
You can cut any part of the mycelium and the rest survives, or both
parts will survive independently.  If MS or Mac file bankruptcy and
cease to operate tomorrow, there will be no support or no bug fixing.
Their universe would collapse if the locked up secret code remains locked.

Just think of all the cooperation and non-antagonistic synergy that
takes place between hundreds of thousands of people writing and
developing and "sharing" all that they do in a way "anyone" can use.

> however my
> question is this: among all the desktops (kde gnome etc) which are
> those that have the toolbar in low or that however through formulations
> they allow to put her/it in low? I know the lxde because it is that what
> time I use. however I would want to know the situation of the other

Keep playing around and you will find many things to do in the way you
like them to be.  Imagine having 4 toolbars, one for each side of the
rectangular screen.  Are you allowed such luxuries in macwindows?  I
wouldn't know.

> desktops regarding the position of such bar. wishes and graces.
> but you are united. and fairies of the files that contain all
> the dependences (like .exe or .mac). this way that each chooses
> whether to install them or rather through synaptic and connection
> internet or offline.

I assume you mean that on the synaptic list of available packages there
are files that are not programs as you know in windows.  That is because
exe/.mac? programs are archives of all the things each one needs to run
with.  The problem is that some of them include the same things over and
over again and this is why they take so much more space than linux,
which share their dependencies.

I agree, there should be a form of synaptic that has a cleaner list
without all the libraries and manual files listed, something you can
browse easier.  Also I would make the search more complex in order to be
able to select among different fields for something.  i.e. if you want
to find something among the admin or util section, from this one
repository, for this one desktop (not all), and within this you add a
keyword from the name/description.  But between me and you we can take
the source code of synaptic and edit it to do what we want to.  If it
works we can publish it for people to try.  Possibly if there is value
in what we have done it can either be incorporated into the synaptic
code or we cab fork ourselves a better package.  Nobody is stopping us.
It is trying to get rich  from doing so that becomes an issue not
whether it can be done.

A while ago I was like you, I thought synaptic was the only way.  After
I learned to use apt apt-get etc (but still hate aptitude) I do not
bother much with synaptic unless I am searching for something new.

I have tried a few desktops in the past, cinnamon, lxqt, gnome3, mate,
etc.  Too flaky and sometimes slow for me.  I like lxde and sometimes I
use openbox which has taught me much of what it takes to bring up a
graphical/windows display.  So now I can just bring up what I need from
lxde without the rest of it.  I like a clean minimal desktop of what I
am doing right that instance. Why pack whole luggage up to go to the
garden to repot a plant?  Why have half a ton of tools and toolboxes to
change oil and sparkplugs to your Alfa Romeo Julia?  You only need 4
tools, that is what should be out there!  Why carry 3kg of tools on your
7kg bicycle?

But that is why we best not be united and have a single entity deciding
what we need or we don't.

PS  I think Q4OS is the nicest entry level MSwin to linux transition
experience.  I dumbed that experiment when I realized it was next to
impossible to start from Debian and go to Q4os and back.  Something told
me not to trust it too much!  It has an intitial screen which allows you
to chose basic desktop arrangements that look awfully close to Win7 and
a package installer of the most common basic gui packages that people
use on their early experience.

--
 "The most violent element in society is ignorance" rEG