Re: If Linux Is About Choice, Why Then ...

On 2017-04-03 at 07:38, Rick Thomas wrote:

> On 4/3/2017 4:01 AM, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> Eh? You *do* have a choice of which init system to run; many
>> people running Debian are still using sysvinit, myself included.
>> The system handles this just fine; if you file a bug report via
>> e.g. reportbug, it will automatically detect which init system
>> you're running and include that information in the bug report.
>>
>> What you don't have is a choice *in the installer* of which init
>> system to *start out with*. The installer will always set up
>> systemd (possible unusual situations involving preseeding aside);
>> if you want sysvinit instead, you have to break out of the
>> do-things-for-you friendly install process and do some package
>> installs + uninstalls by hand.
>>
>> This makes it harder for people to get a non-systemd init system
>> in place (particularly people with less technical experience), and
>> harder to be sure that all traces of systemd-used-as-init-system
>> have really been removed from the machine.
>
> Would you be willing to share the steps you use to change to sysvinit
> on a newly installed machine?

I'd be glad to, but I haven't actually installed a new machine since the
systemd transition in Debian, except for one which I let stay with
systemd just as an experiment to see what working in that environment is
like.

There are guides out there, I believe, but I don't remember where to
find them just offhand.

It also depends on just how systemd-free you want to be. If you just
don't want to have systemd be the active init system, but you're willing
to have it present for other reasons, you have one set of tasks; if you
want to have as little systemd present on your machine as possible, you
need to go considerably farther.

For myself, I've gone the latter route (on my main machine); the only
systemd-related packages (as defined by what changelog they present on
upgrade) installed here, that I know of, are libsystemd0 and udev. For
many, many people, however, the tradeoffs involved in going that far
will be too much.

--
   The Wanderer