Re: If Linux Is About Choice, Why Then ...

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 12:30:11PM -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> The Linux mantra has always been "choice," plethoras of choices. So why
> at install time, is there no choice for the init system?  You get what
> the developers decide. Yes, you can install a new one -- I've done it
> and it works -- but only after the install.  It'd be a lot easier, if
> there were a choice to begin with just like whether you want a GUI and
> which one.
>
> Now, I know with LFS, you get to choose everything, etc.  But is a
> choice of init at install time so outrageous that no one ever
> considered it or is it technically unfeasible or something else.
>
> Just curious.

Some interesting links:
http://islinuxaboutchoice.com/

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/4hutww/is_linux_about_choice/

http://pusling.com/blog/?p=366

https://blogs.gnome.org/hughsie/2009/09/23/linux-is-about-choice/

OK, sure, they're the first 4 hits in a google search but they *are*
interesting. :)

--
The media's the most powerful entity on earth.
They have the power to make the innocent guilty