MATE in /usr AND in /usr/local

I'm interested in tinkering with components of MATE and testing them while leaving the APT-installed versions alone. I've built and installed the components from the Github repos and installed them to /usr/local/. I can't figure out how to load applets from /usr/local. In particular, can someone tell me how to use the /usr/local version of the Workspace Switcher instead of /usr/?

--
David Griffith
dave@661.org