Re: Movie 'n Book recommendations by Curt

On Wednesday, 29 March 2017 22:29:59 -04 Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 March 2017 20:46:00 kAt wrote:
> > What do you mean down?  You arrogant yankee?
>
> Don't Yankees come from the United States??  Or is Curt an expat??
>
> Lisi

Hi y'all,
Oh - OK here is OT:
the Dutch in New Netherland were called "Jan Kees".  New Netherland became
mostly New York and the locals became "Yankees". So somebody from South
Carolina may feel that he himself must not be considered to be a "Yankee".
Whether the nickname for the Dutch was just friendly banter or derogative, I
don't know. Hard to say anyway because names, which once were meant to be
friendly or neutral got a derogative meaning by and by.
"Down" if referring to a city, land or continent, mostly is used in view of
the map, which is commonly oriented with north up and south down. So I'm
living "down" here in South America while you are living "up" there on the
northern hemisphere.
People may be "up" there on the stage, but they are judged by the critics
"down" there in the auditorium or are the critics always "up" there in the
boxes?
I had to look up "bumpkin" however. No, that is not polite ... So why did
"down" trigger the reply and not the mention of the unexperienced resident of
the rural parts of the southeastern parts of the country, which must not be
named?
I recommend a thicker hide to not be offended by everybody and everything.
Or was it just hyperbole?
Eike

 --
Eike Lantzsch ZP6CGE
Eliminate batteries - they are so polarized.