Re: zenity --text-info autoscrolling?

Op Tue, 28 Mar 2017 04:03:20 +0200 schreef Jason <electron@emypeople.net>:

On Sun, 26 Mar 2017 22:03:33 +0200
Floris <jkfloris@dds.nl> wrote:

Op Fri, 24 Mar 2017 23:33:06 +0100 schreef Jason <electron@emypeople.net>:

In interactive shell scripts I like piping output into zenity
--text-info for display. If
the output is more than fits in the zenity window, any additional lines
will be too far
down to display unless the user manually scrolls down to the bottom of
the text.

Does anyone know if there is a way to tell zenity to automatically
scroll down as lines
are added so that the last lines are always visible? This way the output
of the current
action would be displaying at the bottom of the zenity dialog box,
instead of not being
visible.

Using zenity 3.4.0-2 on Debian 8.1.

--
Thanks.
Jason

perhaps you can use yad, a fork of zenity, with the tail option:
https://packages.debian.org/sid/yad

$ yad --help-text
Usage:
  yad [OPTION...] - Yet another dialoging program

Text information options
--text-info Display text information
dialog
  --fore=COLOR                                   Use specified color for
text
  --back=COLOR                                   Use specified color for
background
  --wrap                                         Enable text wrapping
--justify=TYPE Set justification (left,
right, center or fill)
  --margins=SIZE                                 Set text margins
--tail Autoscroll to end of text --show-cursor Show cursor in read-only
mode
  --show-uri                                     Make URI clickable
  --uri-color=COLOR                              Use specified color for
links

success,

floris

Thanks for the suggestion; it sounds like something that would work. Unfortunately, I must work with something that already exists on my target systems (zenity does but not yad) as it is not an option to add programs on some of these systems. Of course, you
could not know that as I had not stated it in my original post.

Thanks for your reply!
Jason

Is it possible to update to version 3.12 or higher?
https://download.gnome.org/sources/zenity/3.12/zenity-3.12.1.news
Zenity 3.12.1
        - Bug #667711 - man page points to nonexisting doc (Arx Cruz)
- Bug #600533 zenity --text-info should have an auto scroll option (Arx Cruz) - Bug #534935 Need hability to specify default answer in --question dialog (Berislav Kovacki)

Floris