[OT] Re: Issue with notebook (maybe the battery?)

On Tue, 28 Mar 2017 14:14:15 -0300
Daniel Bareiro <daniel-listas@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi, Joe.
>

> >> Do you think the problem might be in the charger?
>
> > Yes, certainly. That's why I said it's difficult to know what's
> > going on without either a known good battery or a known good
> > charger. You'd better hope it's the battery, as that is easy to
> > fix...
>
> But in any case, whether the problem is in the charger or the
> battery, I suppose that to solve the issue I will have to change the
> part. I suppose if the problem is in the charger, the cost will be
> less compared to a battery.

Yes, but it is unlikely that a schematic diagram of the laptop
motherboard will be available. It shouldn't be too hard to locate the
parts used in charging, but if the main IC is faulty, it may not be
available in your part of the world. Less of a problem these days, as
many Chinese parts can be sourced directly, but some years ago, my son
blew up an electronic switch on a MB by seating a memory PCB badly. I
could identify the IC, but was unable to find anyone, anywhere in
Europe, selling it. Finally, you need someone happy to make repairs on
a laptop motherboard. It may not work out cheaper than the battery.

> >> At the beginning I had thought that maybe not since the notebook
> >> works when it is connected. Although perhaps it could be that if
> >> the electronics that manages the phases that you mentioned before
> >> is physically in the charger, the problem is in the charger.
>
> > The external power for the laptop is separate from the charger
> > electronics. The charger must supply a defined current, and if some
> > of this were diverted to run the laptop, it would be difficult for
> > the charger to monitor the state of the battery. So the external
> > power is supplied to two paths, to the laptop electronics and to
> > the charger, with laptop power being taken from the battery when
> > the external power is not present.
>
> If I understood correctly, I think that here you was suggested that it
> could also be a problem related to another internal component of the
> notebook that diverts power from the charger to the battery for its
> charge.

Just that supplying power to the laptop and supplying charge to the
battery are likely to be separate functions, and if one works, that
proves nothing about whether the other works.

> This is very weird. I do not had any reading. The slots of the
> contacts are very thin (attached image) and I tried placing the probes
> horizontally, vertically and trying several combinations leaving one
> probe fixed and changing the position of the other, but without
> differences. I tried with the scale of 20V and then with the next one,
> but I did not have readings in any case. In fact later, to test the
> operation of the multimeter, I measured the charge of an old 9V
> battery and got a reading of 2.10V, so I do not think it's a problem
> with the multimeter.
>
> https://ibin.co/3H7uKkzIf4Ui.jpg

Lots of contacts. It is possible that the battery electronics can tell
if it is correctly seated in the right model laptop, and will not supply
power if that is not the case. For your safety, of course.

--
Joe