Re: Deb-Installer: Possible to set IP using a boot parameter?

On Tue 28 Mar 2017 at 17:12:30 +0100, Ron Leach wrote:

> List, good afternoon,
>
> Does anyone know whether there is a Debian-Installer boot parameter that
> enables a specific, static, IP to be set for use during the installation
> process?
>
> I've checked the Installer guide, s 5.3 boot parameters [1], where a
> parameter to disable DHCP autoconfig is described but I'd like to be able to
> set a specific IP as well.
>
> (The reason for wanting this, if possible, is that I will have to install
> onto a bare motherboard and disks, without screen or keyboard, and I'd like
> to control this install over SSH (if the installer would also start it) from
> another machine.  I have seen that this can be arranged using a pre-seeding
> file [2, 3] - which I found a bit complicated - but I am hoping there may be
> a simpler way for my case.  ... Perhaps not, albeit.)

You are nearly there. Any combination of preseed directives can be used
as boot parameters. For example: netcfg/get_ipaddress=192.168.1.42.

>From https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch05s03.html.en:

 > With some exceptions, a value can be set at the boot prompt
 > for any question asked during the installation......

> Is there a definitive list of all the installer's boot parameters and
> values, anywhere?  Or are the parameters literally those described in s 5.3
> of the installer guide?

AFAIK, not on the website. You can generate all the preseed options for
yourself. Search the wiki for "preseed".

--
Brian.