Re: When specifying path to file - confused about ./ and ~/

On 03/27/2017 07:25 AM, David wrote:
On 27 March 2017 at 22:39, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
On 03/27/2017 01:14 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
 *Please avoid trying to briefly explain.*
 *_Please refer me to a good web page._

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/unix1.html
http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/unix2.html

Sections 1.4, 1.6 part 2, and 2.1 demonstrate use of '.' and '~' to
represent directory names.

To the best of my knowledge, '.' is intrinsic to the filesystem
design, whereas expansion of '~' is handled by your shell.
I hope someone else here will correct or elaborate that statement if necessary.

Thank you, the first reference was the key.
I also is a useful illustration of why my original post said:
"
    Please avoid trying to briefly explain.
    Please refer me to a good web page.
"
The author of that page made only *3* assumptions:
   1. that the reader was interested.
   2. that the reader's literacy level was adequate.
   3. that the author knew he knew *nothing* about the reader's
      background.

It wasn't so much the author's descriptions, but his use of a progressive series of illustrative examples.