Re: Encrypted flash drives

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 10:02:27AM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 08:31:45AM +0900, Mark Fletcher wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Tomas has tried to give me pointers on that but I'm afraid I don't
> > understand where to take that. Is there any chance someone who isn't a
> > self-proclaimed "desktop luddite" could comment?
>
> There *must* be some place in your shiny desktop environment "disks"
> or something like that where you configure media "known" to your
> desktop environment.
>
> Insert your "semi-correct" disk and try to enter the labyrinth
> through "properties".
>
> Don't forget Ariadne and the yarn, and give my greetings to the
> Minotaur ;-)

I honked my mouse up into the top left corner of the screen, as you do
in Gnome, and typed "disks" in the search box. And, to quote General
Melchett, "Well bugger me with a fishfork" if there wasn't an application
called Disks just waiting for me.

(there was, so no need to... anyway)

It reports that my correctly working disk has a partition type of 83
(linux) while the partly-broken one reports a partition type of W95
FAT32 (LBA) -- suggesting it really is in a bit of an old mess after my
half-assed initial format. I've seen enough -- I'll wipe and re-format
it, and have patience this time (doing that now).

Mark