Re: Samba domain provisioning tools issues provisioning error on clean Jessie install

On 3/25/17, Joshua Schaeffer <jschaeffer0922@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ahoy all, I'm experiencing an issue when installing Samba on a fresh Debian
> Jessie install and looking to see if others have encountered this issue, if
> there is an obvious fix/dependency I'm missing, or if a bug should be
> reported.
>
> *Problem description*
> After a clean install of Debian Jessie and making sure all packages are
> updated, I installed samba and then ran the samba-tool to provision a new
> domain. I get the following error:
>
> root@firebat-vm:~# samba-tool domain provision --use-rfc2307 --interactive
> Realm [HARMONYWAVE.COM]: HARMONYWAVE.COM
>   Domain [HARMONYWAVE]: harmonywave
>   Server Role (dc, member, standalone) [dc]: dc
>   DNS backend (SAMBA_INTERNAL, BIND9_FLATFILE, BIND9_DLZ, NONE)
> [SAMBA_INTERNAL]: SAMBA_INTERNAL
>   DNS forwarder IP address (write 'none' to disable forwarding) [10.1.30.2]:
> 10.1.30.2
> Administrator password:
> Retype password:
> *ERROR(<class 'samba.provision.ProvisioningError'>): Provision failed -
> ProvisioningError: guess_names: 'realm =' was not specified in supplied
> /etc/samba/smb.conf. Please remove the smb.conf file and let provision
> generate it*
> < snipped for brevity >
>
> I remove the /etc/samba/smb.conf file as the error suggests and then run the
> exact same command again and it provisions successfully. I just think that a
> clean install of Jessie should not throw this error the first time it is
> run. I've Googled and found a few pages and both Ubuntu and Debian bugs
> related to this exact error message, but it seems that most of them are
> related to upgrading the Samba package or after reboots, not when running
> the samba-tool utility.
>
> After some further testing I found that I can just remove the
> /etc/samba/smb.conf file immediately after installing Samba and before
> running the samba-tool utility. It appears that the mere fact that an
> smb.conf file exists is the issue. Obviously this issue isn't that critical
> as the error tells you the problem and even how to fix it, it just seems odd
> that after a fresh install a provision does not work correctly, especially
> since it specifically asks for the realm.
>
> *Steps to reproduce*
>
>  1. Install a clean OS of Debian Jessie
>  2. Upgrade all packages (apt-get update && apt-get -y dist-upgrade)
>  3. Install samba (apt-get install samba)
>  4. Run the samba-tool utility (samba-tool domain provision --use-rfc2307
> --interactive) and answer the questions asked by the script.
>

> *TL;DR*
> I guess the main question is: "Is a user expected to remove the smb.conf
> file before running the samba-tool utility to provision a domain? If so, I
> have not seen this in any documentation (Debian, Samba, Ubuntu or
> otherwise). Should this be considered a bug? The domain provision process
> expects that if the smb.conf file exists it is already setup for the domain
> [...]

Howdy, grin.. As most usual, I don't have a fix, but do have an
uneducated observation and a question back.

The observation: It does seem like maybe that file shouldn't exist at
the beginning if it's causing that kind of thing where the immediate,
successful fix is to delete it. Like I said, though.. that's an
"uneducated" observation.

Perhaps there's a necessary evil of it pre-existing. Perhaps maybe
(maybe not) there's a conscious intention that it's easier to delete
that file per that error message *if* that error occurs versus the
headaches that might result if that file was not in place for most
other users universally. *?* :)

The question: If I get a wild hair later and get a chance to attempt
this, do you mind if I "borrow" your domain name there? I don't have
anything to test with otherwise. I've attempted samba in the past, but
I don't think it's installed right now so this would be attempted from
a clean install.....

Thank you *in advance* :)

Cindy :)

--