Re: Samba domain provisioning tools issues provisioning error on clean Jessie install

The observation: It does seem like maybe that file shouldn't exist at
the beginning if it's causing that kind of thing where the immediate,
successful fix is to delete it. Like I said, though.. that's an
"uneducated" observation.

Perhaps there's a necessary evil of it pre-existing. Perhaps maybe
(maybe not) there's a conscious intention that it's easier to delete
that file per that error message *if* that error occurs versus the
headaches that might result if that file was not in place for most
other users universally. *?* :)
This is certainly reasonable. The file exists because you install the Samba package which installs a default smb.conf file. My initial assumption is that it would indeed cause more issues to not be there, then to be there and require to delete it before provisioning a new domain.

Perhaps a more complex/time consuming solution would be to enhance the guess function that is performed when a domain is provisioned. I've never been involved with Samba development so I have no clue what effort this would take.

ERROR(<class 'samba.provision.ProvisioningError'>): Provision failed - ProvisioningError: guess_names: 'server role=standalone server' in /etc/samba/smb.conf must match chosen server role 'active directory domain controller'!  Please remove the smb.conf file and let provision generate it

That is also an upstream issue versus a Debian issue.

The question: If I get a wild hair later and get a chance to attempt
this, do you mind if I "borrow" your domain name there? I don't have
anything to test with otherwise. I've attempted samba in the past, but
I don't think it's installed right now so this would be attempted from
a clean install.....

Sure, feel free use the domain for testing. I do own the rights to the name and the domain itself so you wouldn't be able to do anything public with it :).