Re: Using Samsung tablets for Debian

On 3/21/17 3:26 AM, Darac Marjal wrote:

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 03:58:15AM +0000, Don Littlefield wrote:
Hello,

I want to buy a Samsung tablet and want to load Debian on it. My question is do I need to get a tablet that is unlocked to do this? Does this have anything to do with the Linux program operation on the device? I do not want to use it
as a phone, Just to use it as a computer. Thank you for the responding.

First, a matter of terms:

- your device will be "locked" in that you don't have access to the root account - that's easy to overcome - there are lots of directions floating around on how to "jailbreak" Android (and, when you install Debian, you'll be wiping out Android anyway)

- if your device includes a cellular modem, and was purchased from a carrier, it may also be "locked" to that carrier - which is a separate issue

You have three different cases to consider:

1. You have a cellular modem, and you want to keep using the cellular data service. In this case, you might not want to install Debian. There are modem & carrier specific software & configuration that are likely to be unsupported in Debian (and this is the code that's generally locked down the heaviest, as it effects FCC type approval for the tablet).

2. You have a cellular modem, but you don't care about using cellular service. In that case, you don't have to worry about whether Debian supports them. Stuff may be locked down, but you don't care - you'll need to find a way to wipe the machine and then install Debian. This is the same as 3.

3. You DON'T have any cellular service. Then, again, you wipe the machine & install Debian.

Having said that, one might ask WHY you want to install Debian. Android is a Linux distro, complete with all the drivers needed for the Tablet's hardware. You might consider just rooting your tablet, and calling it a day. (Note: I've also seen descriptions on how to install Debian "on top of" Android - but I'm not quite sure what that means. You probably end up with some kind of hybrid environment.)

There are some forums for Android developers that might be worth exploring for more info.

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra