Re: Need to upgrade claws-mail on debian 7.1

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 04:47:50 +0000 "Blair, Charles E III"
<c-blair@illinois.edu> wrote:

>    I am using debian 7.11, which includes version
> 3.8.1 of claws-mail.  I have recently been having
> problems with this, and have been advised that I
> need to upgrade to 3.11.1.  It didn't seem possible
> to do this with aptitude, and I am hoping there is
> some other painless way.

You're SOL:  Claws 3.11 isn't available for Wheezy.  At least, not that
I've been able to find.

 A couple years ago, I too started having problems with Claws.  I
could receive but couldn't send or reply.  Later, I was unable to
connect to my email providers at all.  They had slowly changed their
security protocols which Claws couldn't handle.  I upgraded to 3.10 from
Wheezy-Backports, but that didn't help.  Had to be at least 3.11 which
worked fine on my Jessie install running in VirtualBox. Even looked
into compiling 3.11 from source. No go. Dependencies. Wheezy libraries
and such were too old.  And the newer libraries were not available for
Wheezy. Some had systemd dependencies as well.  Compile them?
Nope. Dependencies were the killer. Even thought of adding the Jessie
repos to get the libraries, but that wouldn't work. I'd have to upgrade
too much of Wheezy, if it would work at all.  And I was fearful of
trashing my system.  So, I switched to Sylpheed.  Not as good as Claws,
but it worked.  Now, it's starting to have problems: Can't send
attachments.

The easiest solution if you want to use Claws is to upgrade to a newer
version of Debian.  Sorry.