Re: Testing CDs for GNOME3, KDE and LXDE are missing from the download page

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 09:17:49AM +0530, Lone Learner wrote:
>On 9 March 2017 at 14:51, Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:
>>
>> We've stopped building CDs for most purposes - they're just too small
>> to be useful in a lot of cases, and have been causing issues for
>> users. We also switched to offering the choice of desktop at tasksel
>> time, which makes it less important to offer multiple different CDs
>> tuned to install each desktop.
>>
>> For some time now we've only been building two CDs per architecture:
>> the netinst and *1* single-desktop installer CD for xfce. If you want
>> to install other desktops, grab the netinst and select during
>> installation or use DVD#1.
>
>Can someone please share why the single-desktop installer CD was made
>in favour of Xfce? Why was not some other desktop like GNOM3, KDE or
>LXDE selected for the single-desktop installer CD?

Gnome and KDE don't fit on a single CD - we've been struggling for a
couple of releases to get a reasonable subset of each to fit, and it's
just not working any more. We actually dropped the CDs altogether for
a while, then on request brought back XFCE as a lone option for a
single-CD desktop. XFCE is reasonably small. and popular enough.

CDs are basically dead - the world moved on to DVDs several years ago,
and now USB flash is probably most common for most users.

Is there anybody out there?