Re: If Linux Is About Choice, Why Then ...

Hello,

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 01:48:28PM -0700, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> That might be because all of those who run servers - the traditional
> realm of Debian - have given up and migrated elsewhere.  We can't
> afford to run a poorly designed load of crap, that takes over one's
> machine, as an init system.

Speaking as someone who has preferred Debian on servers since woody,
I remain happy to run Debian on all my servers and am reasonably
happy with systemd. Any other Linux I could imagine ever switching
to also now runs systemd by default and I would be unlikely to seek
to change that.

I suspect that if you counted every instance of an init system
running "in the cloud", most of them would be systemd. The most
popular OS in the cloud is Ubuntu¹ - with systemd. CoreOS², which
was designed from scratch to be run in the cloud, includes systemd
as a non-optional component.

I am not aware of any mass exodus of server administrators away from
systemd. Quite the opposite in fact, simply because most
distributions switched to it.

It is perfectly okay for someone to dislike systemd, or any other
piece of software, but if you are going to make statements that
appear to be on behalf of all server administrators then I think you
need to show your working.

Cheers,
Andy

¹ http://www.zdnet.com/article/ubuntu-linux-continues-to-rule-the-cloud/