If Linux Is About Choice, Why Then ...

The Linux mantra has always been "choice," plethoras of choices. So why
at install time, is there no choice for the init system?  You get what
the developers decide. Yes, you can install a new one -- I've done it
and it works -- but only after the install.  It'd be a lot easier, if
there were a choice to begin with just like whether you want a GUI and
which one.

Now, I know with LFS, you get to choose everything, etc.  But is a
choice of init at install time so outrageous that no one ever
considered it or is it technically unfeasible or something else.

Just curious.