Re: Sound Problem

On 03/11/2017 05:36 PM, Dominic Knight wrote:
On Sat, 2017-03-11 at 09:39 -0500, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
Up to date Jessie.

Sound worked until I turned power off to the external speakers.  The
sound has not been working since I turned the speakers back on.

If I run 'speaker-test' I get noise, but if I run 'speaker-test -c 2
-t
wav' I get 'front left' and 'front right' from the speakers.

I am using the on-board sound:

01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF119 HDMI Audio Controller
(rev a1)
	Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] Device 809f
	Memory at fe080000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Capabilities: [68] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
	Capabilities: [78] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
	Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

I have proven, to my satisfaction, thanks to a suggestion from a
correspondent, that this is not a hardware problem.  I loaded the
Xubuntu 17.04 Live Desktop on the computer and the sound is live.

I would appreciate some help in solving this problem.

Thanks in advance.

As you most likely have two sound cards, one on-board and one with the
video card (HDMI) it may be worthwhile installing pasystray as this may
give you better control over which card you want to use, lots of
options to reset sink, add modules etc. It helped me solve sound issues
in the past when switching between on-board headphones and HDMI to the
TV so worth a try at least.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Here's what happens:

comp@AbNormal:~$ /usr/bin/pasystray
** Message: volume:53085

Then nothing.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.		Life is a fuzzy set
www.molecular-modeling.net		Stochastic and multivariate