Sound Problem

Up to date Jessie.

Sound worked until I turned power off to the external speakers. The sound has not been working since I turned the speakers back on.

If I run 'speaker-test' I get noise, but if I run 'speaker-test -c 2 -t
wav' I get 'front left' and 'front right' from the speakers.

I am using the on-board sound:

01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF119 HDMI Audio Controller (rev a1)
	Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] Device 809f
	Memory at fe080000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Capabilities: [68] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
	Capabilities: [78] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
	Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

I have proven, to my satisfaction, thanks to a suggestion from a correspondent, that this is not a hardware problem. I loaded the Xubuntu 17.04 Live Desktop on the computer and the sound is live.

I would appreciate some help in solving this problem.

Thanks in advance.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.		Life is a fuzzy set
www.molecular-modeling.net		Stochastic and multivariate