xscreensaver sonar : sonar must be setuid to ping

Hello!

I am using XScreenSaver 5.36 on Debian Jessie.
I have setuid to sonar as mentioned in `man sonar` i.e.

chown root:root sonar
chmod u+s sonar

$ ls -ld /usr/lib/xscreensaver/sonar
-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 104016 Apr 15  2016 /usr/lib/xscreensaver/sonar

Now, whenever I invoke sonar through xscreensaver by locking the
screen it still says "sonar must be setuid to ping" but interestingly
when I execute it directly as $ /usr/lib/xscreensaver/sonar it works
as expected showing the machines in LAN.

How can I make the sonar work when I lock the screen through xscreensaver?

--
Avinash Sonawane (rootKea)
PICT, Pune