Re: No sound-inputs but sound recording FMIT

On Sunday 05 March 2017 17:04:00 GiaThnYgeia wrote:

> ΟΚ!
>
> Gene Heskett:
> > On Sunday 05 March 2017 15:18:00 GiaThnYgeia wrote:
> >> Back to shanity, how does a microphone produce an electrical wave
> >> that can be translated into sound and how a wave may take the form
> >> of electrical current that produces sound through a speaker?
> >
> > Very simple. With the glaring exception of the modern AC induction
> > motor that in 99% of the stuff we buy, ANY other generator can also
> > be used as a motor, including the ultra cheap electret condenser
> > microphones, ditto any speaker, including the peizo tweeters, is
> > also a microphone.  Its part of the basic physics everything we use
> > works by.
>
> So, are you saying the standard motherboard beeper/speaker (the one
> that beeps when you hit too many keys at once or that bios is telling
> you I am booting up ... any minute now beeeeepp) is a microphone that
> feeds sound back into the system and mysteriously debian is allowing
> it to be recognized as an input device.
>
> I do not claim to have reinvented the wheel here, but how can this be
> acceptable if it does hold any truth?
>
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> kAt
If debian identify's it as a microphone, take it up with debian. Udev has
been know to goose the moose before.  File a bug if that is the actual
case.  And yes, that "speaker" might be a piezo beeper, but with the
right amps looking at it, it will make a halfway decent microphone. This
is paranoid scary given some of the tricks the NSA has pulled off. But
commercial intercoms have been using a small speaker as the talkback
microphone for at least the 70 years that I have been chasing electrons
for a living.  That dates back to well before the transistor was
invented.

And yes, I am now an old fart of 82.  But I was an electronics geek well
before the term became popular. I quit school in '48, and started fixing
them newfangled things called tv's for a living. I finished off the last
18 years I worked by having a nameplate on my office door that said I
was the Chief Engineer, w/o ever going back to school unless it was as
the teacher. Along the way I collected a 1st phone ticket from the FCC,
and a CET from a small town college prof in Nebraska, turning in the
test in about 45 minutes. He had been teaching students for that
certification for several years. I was the first to walk in, hand him
the 20 to take it, and passed it. Its normally allowed 4 hours. IMO? He
had no business teaching it if in 5 years or so, none of his students
had passed it.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)