Re: Recomended tutoial(s) on doing arithmetic in Bash scripts

On 03/05/2017 10:25 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

On Sun, Mar 05, 2017 at 09:42:16AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
I'm interested in "expr" and "bc".
The man pages lack reasonable examples.
The tutorial/HOWTO pages confuse the issue with fancy page layouts
and/or code samples showing how impressive the author can make the
script's output.
[snip]

If you need floating point numbers, bc (or dc) are your next stops.

Actually  dc is the solution.
I date from Byte's FORTH issue. Benn a fan ever since.

Perhaps you start with a couple of small examples on what you want
to achieve, post them here and we take them as riddles :-)

How about the whole app <grin>
You solved my problem with one line.
The so called tutorial on dc went to great length to make it look like paper coming out of a desk calculator that it obliterated any information. Discouraged me from even looking at the man page.

Here's a little example with dc, [snip]

If you wanted to catch the value instead of printing it right away,
you would do
fill=$(dc -e "5k $NOW $FULL / p")

That's the hint I needed <*GRIN*>

I needed to report the number of bytes downloaded for each portion of a project. My 1st pass is below. [I messed up something when I tried to divide by 1024 to get kb. Symptom was I somehow had a bad value on the stack]

mystring=$(echo $(grep "usb0" /proc/net/dev))
read -r -a myarray <<<$mystring
owl1=${myarray[1]}
echo $owl1

# insert process to be measured

mystring=$(echo $(grep "usb0" /proc/net/dev))
read -r -a myarray <<<$mystring
owl2=${myarray[1]}
echo $owl2
bytes=$(dc -e "1k  $owl2 $owl1 - p ")
echo "You have just downloaded " $bytes " bytes"

Someone on another group wanted me to use LibreOffice Calc ;/

Thanks