Re: Skype

On 2/8/17, deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ben Caradoc-Davies wrote:

>>> haha indeed - and what about video, have you tested it? does it work in
>>> chrome too?
>>
>> I have not tried a video call.
>>
>>> I can choose between M$ and M$ ... oh well there is Apple as well
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSZfUnCK5qk
>> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080455/quotes?item=qt0320035
>> Elwood: What kind of music do you usually have here?
>> Claire: Oh, we got both kinds. We got country *and* western.
>>
>>> Very nice world!
>>
>> Trevor Noah; all the news you need:
>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwWhs_6x42TyRM4Wstoq8HA
>>
>> Kind regards,
>
> Thanks ... except that it is not really funny. But well, every culture has
> its middle ages .... unfortunately no one gets it ATM.
>
> If we are pragmatic it was a joke that skype was ported to linux, we'll
> need
> to find another way. I'm thinking of mere SIP phone or just dropping the
> desktop and using windows anyway. There was too much disappointment
> recently from the linux side.

Final thought first: My apt-cache query wandering while pondering this
thread landed me at "libpurple0". Am posting a resulting "apt-cache
show libpurple0" for listserv posterity because of this snippet that
was part of that query result:

"Conflicts: network-manager (<< 0.9.0)"

I wonder... I wonder if there's something similarly different that
could be found by running that kind of search on whatever package
names you all are using when you run into those moments of
non-functioning.

Now my original (not succinct) post....

Another just thinking out loud moment.. Up front, I realize this might
not fulfill the exact feature that's needed, particularly since I'm
not seeing Skype referenced, but am forwarding anyway. Maybe it
provides something that could be adapted, yada-yada....

A few weeks ago I tripped over a package called "Finch" while looking
for something else. I literally LOL'ed k/t their name with respect to
the whole pidgin/tweet scenario. From an "apt-cache show finch" query:

++++++ BEGIN FINCH PACKAGE DESCRIPTION SNIPPET ++++++

Maintainer: Ari Pollak <ari@debian.org>

Depends: pidgin-data, pidgin-data, libc6, libgadu3, libglib2.0-0,
libgstreamer1.0-0, libncursesw5, libpurple0, libtinfo5, libxml2
Suggests: libx11-6

Description-en: text-based multi-protocol instant messaging client
 Finch is a text/console-based, modular instant messaging client capable of
 using multiple networks at once. Currently supported are:
 AIM/ICQ, Yahoo!, MSN, IRC, Jabber/XMPP/Google Talk, Napster, Zephyr, Gadu-Gadu,
 Bonjour, Groupwise, Sametime, SIMPLE, MySpaceIM, and MXit.
 .
 Some extra packages are suggested to use increased functionality:
  * libx11-6
    - To use the Clipboard and/or Toaster plugins.

Homepage: http://www.pidgin.im

++++++ END FINCH PACKAGE DESCRIPTION SNIPPET ++++++

I'm looking at the "depends" there. That "purple" is familiar as being
something I tried once for what I'm sure was a stand alone program
somehow (or maybe not/never?). I'm now only seeing it as "libpurple0".
Was worth the few extra seconds to keep poking around because of its
"conflicts with" reference:

++++++ BEGIN LIBPURPLE0 PACKAGE DESCRIPTION SNIPPET ++++++

Maintainer: Ari Pollak <ari@debian.org>

Depends: pidgin-data, pidgin-data, libavahi-client3, libavahi-common3,
libavahi-glib1, libc6, libdbus-1-3, libdbus-glib-1-2,
libfarstream-0.2-5, libgadu3, libglib2.0-0,
libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-0, libgstreamer1.0-0, libidn11,
libmeanwhile1, libnspr4, libnss3, libperl5.24, libsasl2-2, libxml2,
libzephyr4, libzephyr4-krb5, perl-base, <perlapi-5.24.1>, perl-base,
libsasl2-modules
Recommends: ca-certificates, libpurple-bin
Suggests: libtcl8.6

Conflicts: network-manager (<< 0.9.0)

Description-en: multi-protocol instant messaging library
 libpurple is a library intended to be used by programmers seeking
 to write an IM client that connects to many IM networks.
 Currently supported are:
 AIM/ICQ, Yahoo!, MSN, IRC, Jabber/XMPP/Google Talk, Napster, Zephyr, Gadu-Gadu,
 Bonjour, Groupwise, Sametime, SIMPLE, MySpaceIM, and MXit.
 .
 Some extra packages are suggested to use increased functionality:
  * libtcl8.6, libtk8.6:
    - Support for writing plugins with Tcl/Tk

Homepage: http://www.pidgin.im

++++++ END LIBPURPLE0 PACKAGE DESCRIPTION SNIPPET ++++++

Original point before I further tripped over libpurple0 was to ask if
anyone has ever tried Finch to see if it somehow fills in where other
packages are not so stable? With Finch appearing to be terminal
command line based, I highlighted it over at the Vinux listserv a few
weeks ago. If truly terminal based, Finch appears to have possible
accessibility potential for being visual impairment/screenreader
friendly, but I'm truly not sure how all of that works.

In a related way, I may be completely off base in thinking so, but I
always presume anything terminal based to be low resource (e.g. ram
memory) friendly, too. The command "updatedb" comes to mind as a
counter example of where that's not a rational thought, though,
because of all the times my setup has become completely bogged down
while "updatedb" is running.

A gentle nudge at the Pidgin developers > I couldn't remember the
package's name but DID remember it was in the Pidgin family (because
of having literally LOL'ed). Finch didn't pull up in an "apt-cache
search pidgin" query. It might help Finch and any other similar Pidgin
family members see more airtime if a reference to Pidgin was in their
description text field'y thing... 'y on your end. :)

Unless you don't want it to be found a whole lot (yet) for whatever
developer known reason(s).......

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* sometimes runs in circles... literally. *