Re: Printing packages

On 3/4/17, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat 04 Mar 2017 at 18:18:03 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>
>> In order to print, I used to do:
>>
>>  # aptitude install cupsys cupsys-bsd cupsys-client libcupsimage2
>> cups-driver-gutenprint cupsys-driver-gutenprint gs-esp
>>
>> , but now cupsys seems not to exist any more.  Please, what packages now
>> should
>> I install in place of those above?  I'm running Sid.
>
> cupsys disappeared many, many moons ago. You want
>
>   apt-get install cups

Brian's answers are always wonderfully short. Yay, him! :D

What I do for something like this (when I don't know something like
that cupsys is no longer) is I go down the line trying to install the
various packages by themselves, too. Sometimes (aka *not always*) that
will trigger my favored package manager to install the newer version
replacement as part of the dependency functions of the various package
installers...

When that doesn't work, I regress to attempting a package manager
query using only outstanding pieces of the name (e.g. "gutenprint")
related to whatever package appears to no longer be available.

AND/OR....

Another angle of attack is to query for the "depends" and "rdepends"
(reverse depends) of any notable package names among the list I might
be trying to install. An example is that i just tried
"printer-driver-gutenprint":

+++++++++++

candycane@northpole:~$ apt-cache depends printer-driver-gutenprint
printer-driver-gutenprint
  Depends: libc6
  Depends: libcups2
  Depends: libcupsimage2
  Depends: libgutenprint2
  Depends: libusb-1.0-0
  Depends: cups
  Depends: cups-client
 |Depends: cups-filters
  Depends: <ghostscript-cups>
  Suggests: gutenprint-doc
  Suggests: gutenprint-locales

candycane@northpole:~$ apt-cache rdepends printer-driver-gutenprint
printer-driver-gutenprint
Reverse Depends:
  gutenprint-doc
  printer-driver-all-enforce
  printer-driver-all
  cups
  parl-desktop-strict
  cups-daemon

Just thinking out loud........ Most definitely not as succinctly as
Brian. *indubitably*

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey