Re: Skype

Hi!

On 07/02/17 17:25, Anonymous wrote:

> Skype on Linux is terrible and crashes randomly, even after fixing the
> Pulseaudio issue. No other software I've ever used on Linux causes as
> many problems as Skype. Obviously this problem ultimately comes from
> Microsoft, but nevertheless many of us need Skype for communications
> with colleagues running a non-Linux OS since it is the overwhelming
> market leader in VOIP; this is especially common in a business environment.
>
> Skype needs to run on Linux with the same stability that it does on
> Windows and MacOS, WITHOUT resorting to installing WINE, and preferably
> without relying on WebRTC.
>
> If you could develop a non-Skype Linux client with the ability to easily
> communicate on the Skype platform --- something open source but which
> has compatibility with Skype, coordinated with Microsoft --- that would
> be ideal. But relying on Microsoft to develop good software for Linux
> has proven to be a losing proposition and I'm sure is stifling the
> adoption of Linux by a wider audience.

An update. A few days ago they switched to Beta. Yesterday I tried video
calls. A person with an Android device called me and I was able to pick
up the call and talk to her. So it's an important progress.

Although I saw that the chat area shows the start time of the call, the
duration of the call is not displayed. I think it would be good to keep
track of this there as well.

Kind regards,
Daniel