Re: Stretch & Safely Replacing systemd?

On Thu, 2 Mar 2017 21:47:05 +0100 <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 02, 2017 at 10:01:17AM -0800, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > I've been considering Stretch as a clean install or dist-upgrade of
> > my aging Wheezy desktop setup as well as to install on a new
> > notebook I've yet to decide on.  I don't like systemd (why is
> > unimportant to this query). I plan to use some other init system,
> > probably runit.  So ...
> >
> > Just how dependent has Stretch's system become on systemd?  I don't
> > mean applications or GNOME, etc. with systemd dependency that I can
> > choose not to install, but the system itself, the guts, the basics,
> > the things and tools it needs to work properly.
>
> I think it's pretty unproblematic. Just the other day there was a
> call for testers (by Ian Jackson, no less) for a new SysV init
> version targeted at testing (stretch).

Read about that.  Wonder how "modern" the new SysV will be.  Or will
it be just more chrome and colored lights on the old Model T?.

> I think things didn't change dramatically since Jessie:
>
>   http://people.skolelinux.org/pere/blog/How_to_stay_with_sysvinit_in_Debian_Jessie.html
>   http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_systemd_from_a_Debian_jessie/sid_installation
>   http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Debian_Stretch

Thanks.  Read those (or similar) shortly after Jessie debuted.  Did a
trial install (terminal only) of Jessie in VirtualBox and converted it
to sysvinit with no glitches.  Even added runit for supervision, but
not runit-init,  But never upgraded. My very custom install of Wheezy
was working fine at the time, and I saw no need.

> (and many more). Ignore the "remove" bit if you're installing from
> scratch: you can do the apt-pinning thing even before systemd gets
> installed (at least I remember that from my last install).

Preventing systemd from installing at all would be ideal.  And from
what I've read as far as systemdinit, this is possible, but it seems
there's always going to be a systemd library or two hanging around
due to SYSTEM dependencies. I've even heard X has such a dependency.
Insidious.

> (And btw: it might be a good chance to give Ian feedback on how it
> went, hint, hint :)

Good suggestion.  I hadn't considered it..

Thanks for your input.