Stretch & Safely Replacing systemd?

I've been considering Stretch as a clean install or dist-upgrade of my
aging Wheezy desktop setup as well as to install on a new notebook I've
yet to decide on.  I don't like systemd (why is unimportant to this
query). I plan to use some other init system, probably runit.  So ...

Just how dependent has Stretch's system become on systemd?  I don't
mean applications or GNOME, etc. with systemd dependency that I can
choose not to install, but the system itself, the guts, the basics, the
things and tools it needs to work properly.

Any info or links you can pass along will be appreciated. Yes.  I
know about the several Debian-base distros that use sysvinit
instead. They are being considered, too. Thanks.