CD Audio - sometimes provided as vfs by the kernel?

Hi,

I just tried to tip an audio CD, like I did hundreds of times before. I
tried to run ripit, and it complained that there was no audio CD
inserted.

Taking a closer look, I found that the drive was unexpectedly provided
as a USB mass storage device as /dev/sdc, with a partition containing a
FAT filesystem and RIFF audio / WAV files.

Now, I am using a USB CD-ROM drive, and eventually found out that, usng
the USB port on the *right* hand side of my laptop, I get thie virtual
mass storage device, and using the USB port on the *left* hand side, I
get a /dev/sr0 device I can read CDDA from, as usual.

I am running Debian sid with kernel 4.9.0-2 on amd64.

I never saw the Linux kernel do something like this. Does anyone know
since when, and under what circumstances, it does that, how I can
control it, and why it depends on the USB port used?

Cheers,
Nik

--
PGP-Fingerprint: 3C9D 54A4 7575 C026 FB17  FD26 B79A 3C16 A0C4 F296

Dominik George · Hundeshagenstr. 26 · 53225 Bonn
Mobile: +49-1520-1981389 · https://www.dominik-george.de/

Teckids e.V. · FrOSCon e.V.
Fellowship of the FSFE · Piratenpartei Deutschland
Opencaching Deutschland e.V. · Debian Maintainer

LPIC-3 Linux Enterprise Professional (Security)