Re: Security hole in LXDE?

On Thu 02 Mar 2017 at 14:12:59 (+0100), tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 02, 2017 at 01:19:00PM +0100, Hans wrote:
> > Hi Tomas
> > > Hm. I'm not sure I've got that one right. Who has allowed the standard
> > > user to execute applications with root rights? How?
> > It was me, beeing haven asked by of the root password and (of course) gave the
> > correct one, I allowed the user, to start applications with root rights
>
> OK, to recap: you started synaptics (as regular user), and for the first time
> you were asked a password. You gave the root (not the user's) password, and
> from then on you could start synaptics as a regular user without having to
> enter a password. Is that right?

If you're trying to clarify things, you have to tighten that up
considerably. Any regular user can start synaptics without a password,
as I already posted in this thread.

I can guess what you mean, and I don't think that is what happened.
(What I _think_ you mean is that by using the root password in that
situation on one occasion, the system has "remembered", and now you
don't need the apssword any more. I don't think that happened. I think
the OP configured something at an ealier time and has forgotten.)

> [...]
>
> Note that it asked me for a password. My password (not root). You can configure
> /etc/sudoers to *not* ask for a password, to do it only for certain commands
> and tons of other things (cf. man 5 sudoers). Sudo remembers whithin a session,
> and for a limited time (default is 15 minutes) the password given, so next
> command won't ask you, if you are quick enough. Can be changed in /etc/sudoers.

> > > is the one granting you root privileges (I can't help with that; I don't
> > > "do" desktop environments) or whether it is sudo (or whether it is the
> > > DE based on the sudo settings).
> >
> > No, no, the desktop just edits the settings, after a correct given root
> > password, to start the special applications with root right sin future times.
>
> You mean: the desktop edits /etc/sudoers? I have had many reasons to kick
> DEs out of my box many years ago, but this would be one reason more :-(
>
> Are you sure?
>
> > > The sudo part is pretty easy to find out (no clickety way, sorry). Try,
> > > in a shell those two things:
> > >
> > >   sudo ls
> > >

> > Gives the same als "ls".
>
> Without being asked for *any* password? Sudo supports that (NOPASSWD), but
> it's not the default.
>
> OK. Then obviously you have sudoers running, (1) your user (hans) is allowed
> sudo (most probably via its group) and (2) either you have a NOPASSWD policy,
> or (3) the credentials are cached from a previous successful sudo. If you
> opened your shell explicitly for this experiment, that would almost surely
> rule out (3).
>
> > >   sudo synaptic
> > sudo synaptic
> > sudo: Hostname protheus1 kann nicht aufgelöst werden
> > No protocol specified
> > Unable to init server: Verbindung ist gescheitert:Verbindungsaufbau abgelehnt
> >
> > (synaptic:25373): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0
>
> That's funny, but hasn't to do with our current problem. Probably sudo, by
> stripping the environment, has dropped some vital environment variable
> (f. ex. http_proxy or something). Might be fixable by invoking "sudo -E",
> but let's forget about that for now, to not get side-tracked.
>
> > > What happens in each case? Do you get a password prompt? Is synaptic
> > > started in user mode or in root mode?
> > >

> > No, as it is not root's environment, but the users one. However, su -p does
> > the trick.
>
> Heh. So we reach the same conclusion.

> > > Be careful when editing /etc/groups. There are things for that like
> > > adduser and addgroup. To remove your user from group sudo:
> > >
> > >   sudo deluser <username> sudo
> > >
> > > Whether that helps or not depends on all of the above, of course :-)
> > >
> > > But **first of all** you've got to get clear on what you want:
> > >
> > >   - shall the regular user not be able to call synaptic in
> > >     "root mode" _at all_?
> > >

> > The user shall not be able to start any application of with root rights.
>
> Never? Then removing (hans) from the sudo group seems to be the most

Yes, that would be reverting to the default state, ie sudo:x:27:
in /etc/group.

> > >   - yes, but only after entering root password?
>
> > Exactly.
>
> Now I'm confused. This contradicts the above. Perhaps you mean that the
> user has to *login as root*. Sudo has the possibility to ask the root
> password from the regular user instead of her own password (see the
> rootpw, targetpw and runaspw flags in the sudoers(5) man page for all
> the details).
>
> > >   - yes, but only after entering her password?
> > >
> > No, this is the actual situation.
>
> Aha. But the user password is still necessary?
>
> OK. Perhaps you just prefer the "classic" su behaviour and don't need
> sudo at all (still: I'd recommend getting used to sudo. I don't embrace
> every novelty, but this one was, after getting used, quite nice). But
> hey, it's your toolbox :)
>
> So just de-installing sudo might be an option for you (make sure your
> package manager doesn't want to throw away half of your system -- I've
> no idea what packages depend on sudo).

I think I would lose the ability to configure wifi APs as a user
if I lost sudo.

But I can't see that there's any point in removing sudo if you
. add noone to group sudo
. add nothing to /etc/sudoers.d/
. add nothing to /etc/sudoers

Would I be right?

BTW one thing I don't understand about sudo is why
/etc/sudoers.d/README is not world-readable.

Cheers,
David.